Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Perfect Teacher

.
Almost all of the students in our school in Libya were happy with their teachers and their classes, but I did occasionally have to deal with complaints from Libyan and other Arab students. When these complaints were justified, I tried to find a solution to them. However, many of the complaints were ridiculous and I eventually hit on a good way to handle these by drawing on my (very limited) knowledge of Islam. My approach went like this.

Student: Director, you must give me a new class. My teacher is not good.
Me: Oh, really. What’s the problem?
Student: Today she was spelled a word wrong on the board.
Me: Well, you know, spelling in English is much more difficult than spelling in Arabic. Even teachers sometimes make mistakes.
Student: No, this is not good. Teachers cannot make mistakes. I want a teacher who does not make mistakes.
Me: So you want a perfect teacher?
Student: Yes.
Me: Are you not a Muslim, then?
Student: Of course I am a Muslim.
Me: I don’t think so.
Student: Why do you say this? I am a good Muslim.
Me: I don’t think so. Good Muslims respect the Holy Koran and you don’t.
Student: Of course I respect the Holy Koran.
Me: But the Holy Koran says that people are never perfect. Only Allah is perfect. So if you want a teacher who is perfect, you can’t be a good Muslim.

At this point the student would always decide to stay in the class. And I would go and remind the teacher concerned that she/he should be more careful when writing on the board.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment