Friday, March 15, 2013

We Take Checks Here

.
Mustafa and I were window-shopping in Tripoli when I saw that one shop was offering really good prices on Olympus OM-1 cameras. As I had just broken my own camera, I decided that an OM-1 would be an excellent investment.

Inside the shop I checked out one of the cameras and was very impressed. So I decided to buy it.  

I didn't have enough cash on me but I did have a checkbook. Knowing that some Libyan storekeepers were reluctant to accept checks, I asked Mustafa to make sure that this storekeeper would take a check.

The storekeeper said he would be happy for me to pay with a check.

I wrote out the check and handed it over.

The storekeeper examined it very carefully.  He nodded approvingly. 

Then he handed the check back to me and said something I didn't understand to Mustafa.

"What did he say?" I asked.

Mustafa smiled. "He says that the check is good. So can you please take it to the bank and cash it in, and then bring him the cash. He'll look after the camera until you get back."  
.

No comments:

Post a Comment