Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Waiting for the Moon


.
We had quite a few religious holidays in Libya and their dates depended on the moon. I always wanted to post the dates in advance but this would upset the school’s assistant, Ali. So we used to have the following conversation a week or two before every holiday.

ME: Okay, Ali. I want you to put up a notice saying that the school is closed for the XXX holiday on Thursday next week.”

ALI: We can’t do that, Mr. Jeff.

ME: Why not?

ALI: Because the holiday doesn’t start until the day after the new moon appears.

ME: Right. And the new moon will appear on Wednesday.

ALI:  We don’t know that.

ME: We do know, Ali. I have an almanac here which shows me the date of every new moon for the next 50 years. And there will be a new moon next Wednesday.

I thought my argument was a winning one. Of course, I should have known better.

ALI: But what if there is no new moon this month? 

ME: There will be.

ALI:  We don’t know that. It depends on Allah. He might decide not to have a moon at all this month. So we have to wait until next Wednesday to see if the moon appears.

ME: Okay, Ali. Let’s wait until Wednesday.

This is the type of thing that made it difficult to run a school efficiently in Libya!  
.

No comments:

Post a Comment