Wednesday, January 16, 2013

My Driving Test: Part 2


.
I don't mind admitting that I was nervous as I moved into the driver's seat to begin my test.

I adjusted the rear mirror. 

My policeman leaned over towards the examiner and gestured to the mirror. "Quies!" (Good!) he exclaimed admiringly. He was clearly determined to follow his boss' orders to make sure I passed. The examiner clearly knew the fix was in and didn't like it. He looked cross.  

I stepped on the clutch and pushed the gear lever into first. "Quies jedan!" (Very good!) from my policeman. The examiner looked cross. 

I drove along the road at maybe 5 m.p.h. This elicited a cry of "Masbut!" (Excellent!) from my policeman. The examiner looked cross. "Stop," he shouted. I stopped. Another admiring cry of "Masbut!" from the back seat.

Having apparently aced the practical section of the test, now it was time for the theory section. I wasn't looking forward to this because I had no idea what it would involve.

The examiner produced a sheet showing various road signs. He pointed to one and asked, "Shu haida?" (What's this?) I hadn't a clue. "Sorry, I don't know that one," I said in English. The examiner looked puzzled and I realized he didn't speak English. My policeman didn't speak any English either but he was much more supportive. "Quies jedan!" he said approvingly.

The examiner pointed to another sign that I had never seen before. Knowing he couldn't understand me, I answered more confidently this time: "That means the road is a motorway, or maybe it means that you can't park there, or maybe it means something else." My policeman was ecstatic. "Masbut! Masbut!" he cried, slapping the examiner on the back. 

Three more questions were asked and answered in similar fashion.


Then, looking very cross indeed, the examiner passed me a slip of paper and gestured for me to get out. 


My policeman got out also and shook hands with me. "Mobruk!" (Congratulations!) he said.

I leaned into the car and held out my hand to the examiner. He scowled at me. "Imshi!" (Go!) was all he said.

And that's how I passed my driving test and obtained a legal Libyan license.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment