Saturday, December 26, 2009

One Law for All

.
I drove out to Tripoli Airport with a Libyan friend to pick up a new teacher who was arriving from England. As soon as I walked into the terminal, I knew something unusual was happening: It was packed with people and there were heavily armed soldiers everywhere.

My friend asked someone what was going on and we were told that Ghadaffi was there to welcome the Foreign Secretary of some other Arab state. I think it was Syria but it could have Iraq or Jordan.

My friend insisted that we squeeze through to the front of the crowd to watch the welcoming ceremony. It was impressive. Ghadaffi was out on the tarmac flanked by a brass band and an honour guard of very smartly dressed soldiers.

The foreign dignitary came down the steps of the plane and he and Ghadaffi embraced. After reviewing the honour guard, the two men walked hand in hand to the terminal, chatting as they walked.

They strolled past the immigration desk, which was manned by an immigration officer who looked about 18 years old.

To everyone's amazement, the immigration officer suddenly stood up and shouted out, "Hey, you! Stop!" Ghadaffi and the visiting dignitary stopped and turned around.

My friend translated the dialogue that followed.

Ghadaffi: Do you mean us?
Officer: Yes. (He pointed to the dignitary.) I need to see his entry visa.

Ghadaffi gave his guest an apologetic look and walked back to the immigration desk.

Ghadaffi: You know who I am?

Officer: Of course I know who you are, Muammar. But I need to see your friend's visa.

Ghadaffi: You don't understand. He's the Syrian Foreign Minister. I've invited him here.

Officer: That's very nice. But I need to see his visa.

Ghadaffi: He doesn't have a visa. He's here at my invitation on an official visit.

Officer: I'm sorry but if he doesn't have a visa, I can't let him through. Everyone who comes to Libya has to have an entry visa.

Ghadaffi: Well, yes, I know that's the law but he's my guest. I'll vouch for him. You can let him through.

Officer: The law says every visitor must have a valid entry visa.

Ghadaffi: But you can make an exception in this case. He's my friend.

Officer (visibly exasperated): Look. I'm just trying to do my job. You say I should let this man through without a visa. Fine, if that's what you want, I'll let him through. But then somebody else will turn up tomorrow and say that his friend is arriving without a visa and I'll have to let him through. Then the same thing will happen the next day. And the day after that. Personally, I don't care. It's up to you. Do I let people through without visas or not?

Ghadaffi thought for a moment. Then he turned around to his guest and told him that he would have to get back on the plane and go home to get a visa.

The young immigration officer sat down at his desk again and all of us in the crowd applauded.
.

3 comments:

  1. That is a classic story. Pity it didn't happen this year, and someone would have filmed it on their phone, and it would be on youtube the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. We missed a lot by not have phone or digital cameras sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I wonder what happened to the man after that. I don't think Gadaffi would let that go....
    I'm surprised that he...didn't just walk away..

    ReplyDelete